How to reuse your old t-shirts

t shirt yarn


I didn't know this existed until a few days ago when I was browsing the web for some ideas on eco-fashion. I wanted to know if there was a way to help salvage perfectly good clothes from reaching the landfill.  We are all guilty of buying way to many clothes that we don't wear.  The evidence: the fashion industry reached almost $2,560 trillion in 2010 and the American household spent on average, $1,700 on apparel, footwear and related products and services in 2010!!

So when I saw this t-shirt yarn, it got me intrigued since only 15% of the total textile waste that is produced ends up back in the recycling depot!.  This means that 85% of used clothes goes straight to the landfill!!  I can understand that most people don't like wearing other people's used clothes (due to cleanliness and the fact that buying things makes us feel good)- the most a average person will do is send it out for donations.  But for the crafty people out there - I think this is something worth exploring !  

It is one thing to cut up a t-shrit and sew up the sides to make it bag/pouch, but how many bags/pouches do we need?? That would just end up as a side project waiting to be thrown away.  With t-shirt yarn, I think it can made it into something more useful and expressive - an perhaps less tacky.  ** Also a great idea for those shirts you get from volunteering and never wear !**

Ready to give it a try ? I found this useful YouTube video that shows how to transform your shapeless standard tee to something that can be made into anything you can image!








Comments

Popular Posts